Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Postal Service Covered

The song I have chosen for this blog was originally sung by The Postal Service. The song is called "Such Great Heights" and it has always been a favorite of mine. The band that covered this song has recently became more popular and goes by the name Iron & Wine. Honestly, I am not that big of an Iron & Wine, but I do love their version of this tune.
ORIGINAL - THE POSTAL SERVICE
 
 

COVER - IRON & WINE


Let me start by saying that I honestly love both versions of "Such Great Heights". But I love them in different ways. There is a vast contrast between the two, but the difference isn't bad. Some may disagree, I understand that my opinion on this is subjective. Aside from the lyrics and pieces of the rhythm, there really isn't much that is too similar about these two songs.

First off, the timbre of both songs are completely different. The tempo of the original is quick and the lyrics are bold and clear. The original version is very energetic and electronic. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the entire song was composed solely on a computer. It really doesn't sound like any real instruments are even in the original. It almost sounds completely synthetic. The original version has a high-pitched beat pulsing in the background the entire time. For me, this gives the song life. It seems like it is alive and active.

The cover of this song is different in many ways. The timbre is more slow and relaxed. The feeling of this song gives you sense of calm, which contrasts with the energy of the original. You could argue that the melodies of the two songs are similar, but I think they are different. The melody of the cover is much more drawn out and drowsy. This is partly because the pitch is so much lower. Also, the entire song is played through slow guitar picking. An affinity between the two versions is their organization. Both songs are organized well. Neither of them sound chaotic or confusing. Both songs have repeating patterns that give the song organizational strength.

The harmony does vary greatly between the two songs. The harmony of the original is full of life and pops at you. As where the second one almost rocks you to sleep. I suppose that might be why I like both versions so much. The Iron & Wine version is a completely different spin on the whole thing. I'm not sure I can pick a favorite because at different times both of them seem to fit perfectly. So I think my favorite is subjective to my life's events at any given time. I listen to the original all the time when I am driving somewhere. Usually on longer drives. Also, it pops up here and there when I am working out or running. And on the flip side, the Iron & Wine version seems to pop up when I am lounging or just doing miscellaneous tasks. Kind of just like a mellow background tune to enjoy. I think each song has it's own time and place.

No comments:

Post a Comment