Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ways to Get Ideas

I just finished up reading an excellent article called "14 Ways to get Breakthrough Ideas" by Mitch Ditkoff. The article can be found as a pdf on ChangeThis.com.

The article is pretty much self-explanatory by the title. Ditkoff dives into 14 different ways to get great ideas. However the suggestions Ditkoff gives are not as black and white as "do this" and you will "get this". His suggestions are more abstract. For instance most of the ways to get breakthrough ideas deal with experiencing things out side of your comfort zone, which in turn will spark your creative thinking tank. I agree with this article completely and plan to adapt multiple suggestions into my day to day life. It makes sense, if you live your life in the same format and structure day after day, how are you going to generate new ideas? Most of our thinking is based off life experiences, so if our experiences are the same then odds are our thoughts will be the same as well.

13. Use Creative Thinking Techniques
Number thirteen really hits home for me. The analogy Ditkoff uses for getting this suggestion across is his comparison to people as old cars. Older cars when it's cold out sometimes have trouble starting, but once they get jumper cables they run fine. Same with people and using our creative minds. Sometimes we need a jump start from a foreign sources to spark our creative thinking. I'll admit even though I have trouble admitting it to myself, I do live a very structured life. Which makes sense to why I feel like I am in a creative drought lately. I need to step outside my outside myself and look for that spark. Or atleast hope I run into it somewhere.

5. Fantasize
This suggestion is self-explanatory. Ditkoff advocates to fantasize. To dream of impossible yet fantastic ideas. I think that everyone fantasizes but is often grounded by the reality of them. I think it happens to me too often. Again I'll admit that when I think of something that is remarkable to me I will often push it through my realistic filter and more or less extinguish the flame. However Ditkoff says to do just the opposite. He says it is a good thing to fantasize about seemingly impossible ideas. I think I will try to discontinue that feeling to be realistic about my fantasies. I whole heartedly believe that being too realistic can lead you directly into a dead end.

4. Make New Connections
Making new connections is again a concept I am well aware of, but rarely put into practice. Ditkoff strongly urges that great ideas can often take multiple people and perspectives to come about. Breakthrough ideas or feelings are often not pulled out of thin air, instead they often come from a collaboration of different origins and elements. This suggestion isn't rocket science. Of course great ideas and inspiration come from collaboration. I need to try and utilize this idea more often. Despite being rather extroverted when I am comfortable, I also tend to be extremely introverted when I am not. I need to learn to be myself more often and not get caught up in my own circular thinking.

Think of a current challenge of yours. What would a fantasy solution to this challenge look like?
What clues does this fantasy solution give you?


A current challenge of mine right now is trying to find "my thing". Everyone around me seems to exhibit that they know exactly what they want to do with their career. Realistically, I know not everyone has it set in stone, but I can't help but feel like they do. It's troubling for me at times to try and narrow down what area of mine is calling my name. Part of this feeling is because I am so indecisive sometimes when it comes to myself. I can't help but always ask myself if maybe I am wrong. A fantasy solution to this problem, even though to me this sounds impossible, is to quit searching for it so hard and hope that it finds me. I think a good way to go do is to be open to looking dumb, looking inexperience, and accepting that I'm not going to be an ace at everything I do. It is these feelings that often hold me back. This fantasy solution clues me in that for whatever reason I get myself caught up in the fear of ambiguity. I don't like being indefinite with my actions because I have an increased chances of failing. This is clearly holding me back. The obvious and only way to fix this problem is get out there and basically venture into a void I am unfamiliar with. No matter how hard that may be. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment